Skip to main content

Love First!


   Most of us have experienced walking into a room and feeling like everyone was looking our way. I don’t mean the kind of look you get for the sake of the admiration of those in the room but rather the judgment of those in the room. Perhaps you have been that person looking at someone that way as they appeared. Regardless of what side of “the looking” you and I may have been on, we can agree that subjective glances towards others that express our assessment of their short-comings and the judgment that follows does not reflect the heart of God.
   I remember leaving a youth conference in Gatlinburg, Tennessee one December morning and watching some adults who were passing by openly display their displeasure with our group’s excitement. I knew that these folks could not have known the impact that this conference had made on the lives of those youth who had attended, but I found it very difficult to just be okay with their response to our group. It appeared as though the students that had just been encouraged and transformed before my eyes were seen by these adults as just another group of “loud and obnoxious kids”. I was growing more and more upset with this situation, but as we began our trip back home I found myself asking God to forgive “those people” for the attitudes of their hearts and to help me forgive them as well. It was during this time that God began to show me the hypocrisy of my prayer. I was considering the looks on the faces of these people as the proof of their hearts, the same way I presumed they were looking at the loud excitement of our teens as a testimony to their character. God then got my attention further by asking this question of me: “Lee, what if you didn’t worry about what people were thinking or doing when you first see them- what if you could just somehow seek to love them first?” My heart became imprinted with this idea that I could seek to “love first”. Before I wonder what the person is doing, before I wonder what they might want from me, before I make any assumptions about their character or intent; that I would simply look for how I could love them- “Love First”.
   Jesus told a parable in Luke 15 about a man that had two sons of which the younger asked for his share of the inheritance of his father- while the father was still alive! The story goes on to explain how that son wasted all that the father had given him and the point of desperation he had reached when he decided to return to his father’s home. Scripture tells us that this son had practiced his speech to his father and was hoping that he would be received back into the home, even if only as a servant. This young man began making his way home and his father saw him at a distance and RAN out to meet him. The younger son began to state his case but he was unable to finish his appeal because the father was too concerned with pouring his love out on the son. How easy it would have been for the father to make assumptions or demand explanations, but he took an approach that expressed the value of the son in his eyes first. The father “loved first”.
   Perhaps you could create an opportunity to exercise this type of unconditional love in your community. How exciting would it be to see the heart of love within the body of Christ spill out into our communities in a way that brings glory to God and exalts the name of Jesus. Why not ask God to show you His desire for you to "Love First"? Then walk forward in obedience to His will and watch as He draws people into the kingdom!

Captured by Christ!
Lee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Continue to See the Glory of God

To Continue to See the Glory of God    What a blessing to be able to share the most exciting time of the Christian calendar with brothers and sisters in the Lord Jesus Christ at Crescent Hill! Resurrection Sunday was a great blessing and I want to thank everyone who helped in anyway as well as those who were faithful in their attendance and support!    As you are well-aware, the excitement did not end with Jesus’ resurrection. It continued on into the days following by way of Jesus personally appearing before many disciples and demonstrating His glorified body and preparing them for His departure from earth. Included in this time were His instructions for His people to make disciples of all nations and to remain faithful to the Gospel no matter what circumstances life would bring. Jesus had spoken of His church in Matthew chapter 16 and promised that the very gates of Hell would not prevail against the force of God’s power to save, yet so often we see believers afraid of speakin

Leadership Vacuum of Christian Leadership

For many people what I am about to share is not an earth-shattering new truth or a grand revelation, but I do believe it is an important reminder for the Christian community. A few nights ago I listened to an interview with the former Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld. Regardless of the various personal opinions of the man or his job approval rating when he left his position several years ago, he still speaks from a position of experience and with a certain degree of influence. Having said that, let me assure you that I am not about to rattle off some politically-laced opinion about the current presidential administration or any other public office for that matter. What I want to talk about is a statement that Rumsfeld made repeatedly during his interview that seemed to be important to his stance on the current issue with Russia, Ukraine and the rest of the world. Rumsfeld's opinion was that the United States had willfully stepped down from a position of leadership on the

Comfort vs. Christ

I am quite positive that I am not the first to publish ideas or thoughts on the world's pursuit of comfort, but it has become an overwhelming topic for me as of late. The world is full of imperfect people of which I am most certainly a rivalry of the most imperfect that would be considered as such- yet, there is one thing that God has been able to get through to me: He is God. A simple statement, I know- but the profound'ness' of this statement is found in the fact that we truly begin to live life as He intended when we move beyond the mere utterance of these words and into the experiential living of them. "God being God" becomes a peaceful thought instead of a legalistic pressure- a calming truth instead of an overbearing rule. We come to realize that no person who possesses the kind of power that God indeed possess would ever give away something that could somehow compromise the way others perceive his power and would most likely never see the need to give som